Topics

rio-pansharpen

shapero.daniel@...

Hi all! I've used rio-pansharpen in the past and it's been really helpful. When I updated my installation of rasterio to version 1.0 there were changes in the API that broke some of the functionality of rio-pansharpen. I opened a PR to fix this a while back:
but I haven't heard back about it. I also noticed that the last commits on this repo were several years ago. Are there plans to continue development of rio-pansharpen?

Sean Gillies

Hi Daniel,

My team at Mapbox hasn't had the resources to maintain rio-pansharpen. This is one of the classic downsides of plugins: being outside the core, they're at risk of becoming unmoored. Thank you for reaching out, I'm going to follow up with you in that PR.

It's worth considering moving rio-pansharpen to the rasterio project. The argument against that is that it doesn't seem to have many users; it's been broken for a year and you're the first to speak up about it. I'm certain that there are more people who found it broken and said nothing, but I have no idea how many, or whether this makes a difference for rasterio.

--
Sean Gillies

vincent.sarago@...

Hi Daniel,
I've tried to fix this couple weeks ago but as the module hasn't been updated for years I ended up writing a small interpretation on our own module. see https://github.com/cogeotiff/rio-tiler/issues/94.

My try at fixing rio-pansharpen is here https://github.com/vincentsarago/rio-pansharpen

Daniel Shapero <shapero.daniel@...>

Hi Sean -- thanks for getting back to me! I understand if the mapbox team has other priorities and that you want to avoid scope creep in the main rasterio repository.

While there aren't that many people using rio-pansharpen, I wonder if it might be a problem of fragmentation among the different plugins. I realize it's a bit extreme but if rio-pansharpen, rio-color, rio-hist, and rio-toa were all merged into one repository, then some of the work of keeping them up to date could be amortized. I'd also float the possibility of seeking a maintainer from the community too.

On Mon, May 13, 2019 at 8:59 AM <vincent.sarago@...> wrote:
Hi Daniel,
I've tried to fix this couple weeks ago but as the module hasn't been updated for years I ended up writing a small interpretation on our own module. see https://github.com/cogeotiff/rio-tiler/issues/94.

My try at fixing rio-pansharpen is here https://github.com/vincentsarago/rio-pansharpen

Sean Gillies

Hi Daniel.

A repository containing a package of plugins could be a good thing, indeed. Being outside of the main rasterio repo, developers wouldn't be required to build an extension module, they could test using the rasterio wheels published on PyPI. The plugins could share code easily. Centralized documentation would be easier to maintain.

On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 1:33 PM Daniel Shapero <shapero.daniel@...> wrote:
[...]

Jonas

Edited

How about an awesome rasterio list? :-) It's about time, I guess! https://github.com/sindresorhus/awesome But which category could this be in? Or is this beyond the scope of awesome lists?