Topics

Thoughts on separating the CRS class from rasterio into its own library?

Alan Snow

I was thinking the other day that it might make sense to have a base CRS package that is shared among both rasterio and Fiona. I think the rasterio version could be the one to use. There are definitely benefits and drawbacks to this approach. Has this been discussed before?

Alan Snow

Looks like the projection functionalityis moving into the proj library. https://gdalbarn.com.

Sean Gillies

Hi Alan,

No, we haven't had any serious discussion about writing a new CRS package, though we're certainly trying to head towards consistency between Fiona and Rasterio.

I'm glad you mentioned the gdalbarn.com site. If a new CRS package were to be written, it would be best to wait until the GDAL and PROJ revolution has finished. I think the final state will be one with more distinct boundaries between GDAL and PROJ that will make a standalone CRS package easier to develop.

--
Sean Gillies

Alan Snow

That sounds like a good plan to me to revisit this when they wrap up the projection stuff. I started this thread before I noticed the gdalbarn stuff. Maybe contributing to the pyproj project is the path forward.

Alan Snow

Just FYI, I am making some progress replicating the rasterio CRS functionality with the new version of proj.4 (6.0.0) in pyproj:
_proj.pyx
__init__.py

The new proj,4 has some neat features & supports quite a bit. You can see some examples here

Not sure what the status is on pyproj or if this will be included, but in the meantime any suggestions are very welcome!