Re: [rasterio-dev] Writing azure blobs does not create blobs

Niklas Heim <heim.niklas@...>

Hi Sean,

Thank you for you help and excuse the late reply! I will find another way of accomplishing this.

Best regards,
Niklas

Am Mi., 9. Jan. 2019 um 22:12 Uhr schrieb Sean Gillies via Groups.Io <sean=mapbox.com@groups.io>:

In https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/issues/1189#issuecomment-452716305, Even reminds us that GDAL does not support writing TIFFs to S3 and I'm pretty sure that this applies to Azure as well. See the note about sequential writing at https://www.gdal.org/gdal_virtual_file_systems.html#gdal_virtual_file_systems_vsiaz.

On Fri, Jan 4, 2019 at 1:40 PM Sean Gillies <sean.gillies@...> wrote:
Hi Niklas,

First off, in my original reply I missed the chance to suggest that we move this discussion to the main (not dev) discussion group, which has more users. The dev group is for discussing and planning new features for the library. I'm going to cross post over to main@rasterio.groups.io and would appreciate it if you would follow up there.

Nothing in the logs jumps out at me, so I'm stumped. I don't have any experience using Azure blob storage and have never used GDAL or Rasterio to write to cloud objects of any kind. In my own applications, I write local files and then upload them to AWS S3 using the AWS Python SDK (boto3 &c). There may be some limitations or required GDAL configuration that I am not aware of.

Are you able to write blobs to the same Azure bucket using gdal_translate instead of a Rasterio program?

And of course, we really need to know what versions of Rasterio and GDAL are employed here and where they come from: PyPI or Conda-forge or where else?

On Thu, Jan 3, 2019 at 5:25 AM Niklas Heim <heim.niklas@...> wrote:
Hi Sean,

Thank you for your reply!
After setting the CURL_CA_BUNDLE environment variable I could run the above script without GDAL_HTTP_UNSAFESSL.
The logs with CPL_CURL_VERBOSE enabled are attached below. It looks like the new blob is not created?