Re: issue with opening/closing datasets

Amine Aboufirass <amine.aboufirass@...>

Hi Sean, the issue is that I am writing functions where the output is often a rasterio dataset. I don't know if this can be accomplished using a with statement:
function open_raster(filename):
    rasterio_dataset_object = rasterio.open(filename)
    return rasterio_dataset_object

function do_stuff_with_raster(rasterio_dataset_object):
    ###do stuff with raster
    return rasterio_dataset_object

dataset = open_raster('raster.tif')
new_raster = do_stuff_with_raster(dataset)
new_raster.close()

Thanks,
Amine

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 5:25 PM Sean Gillies <sean.gillies@...> wrote:
Hi Amine,

I think you have made in error in pasting code into the GitHub issue. The code you've given will fail at dataset = memfile.open because you haven't assigned memfile yet.

The message you see printed comes straight from the GDAL library. You haven't configured any GDAL error or log message handler and so the messages go directly to your terminal. Message handlers are configured if you run your code within a `with rasterio.Env()` block.

    import rasterio

    with rasterio.Env():
        # your code here

Also if you do

    with memfile.open(...) as dataset:

you won't see this message.

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 9:25 AM Amine Aboufirass <amine.aboufirass@...> wrote:
Hi All,

I just listed an issue on the main github log. https://github.com/mapbox/rasterio/issues/1659

If anyone could take a look I would be very grateful.

Kind Regards,

Amine