Occasional "not recognized as a supported file format" errors when reading from S3

Dion Häfner

Dear rasterio group,

(I initially posted this at https://github.com/mapbox/rasterio/issues/1686)

Lately, we have encountered a strange bug in Terracotta. It basically always leads to errors like these:

(from DHI-GRAS/terracotta#139)

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "rasterio/_base.pyx", line 213, in rasterio._base.DatasetBase.__init__
  File "rasterio/_shim.pyx", line 64, in rasterio._shim.open_dataset
  File "rasterio/_err.pyx", line 205, in rasterio._err.exc_wrap_pointer
rasterio._err.CPLE_OpenFailedError: '/vsis3/italy-composite/rasters/italy_2018_red.tif' not recognized as a supported file format.

or

(from DHI-GRAS/terracotta#10 (comment))

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "rasterio/_io.pyx", line 698, in rasterio._io.DatasetReaderBase._read
  File "rasterio/shim_rasterioex.pxi", line 133, in rasterio._shim.io_multi_band
  File "rasterio/_err.pyx", line 182, in rasterio._err.exc_wrap_int
rasterio._err.CPLE_AppDefinedError: IReadBlock failed at X offset 0, Y offset 0: '/vsis3/bucket/prefix/tile330.tif' does not exist in the file system, and is not recognized as a supported dataset name.

The errors occur on different versions of rasterio, although anecdotally it wasn't a problem pre-1.0.15. It also seems to occur both during rasterio.open, and when actually reading tiles via WarpedVRT.read.

The problem is that we have only observed it with huge raster files, and we haven't been able to reproduce this reliably, or in a way where I could share it with you.

Does anyone have any intuition why this might be happening / what we could look at to debug this?

Cheers,
Dion