Re: need help installing rasterio with WebP

Howard Butler

The reason this doesn't work is Conda/Conda Forge uses an external libtiff build which does not have WebP support enabled. The "WEBP" GDAL driver by itself should work because that is linked differently (but that isn't a TIFF/WebP either). I have initiated an update to Conda Forge's libtiff to add WebP support, but this is likely to take a while for this build to filter back through. See https://github.com/conda-forge/libtiff-feedstock/pull/48 for more details.

Howard

On Thu, Dec 5, 2019 at 1:45 PM <tgertin@...> wrote:
Thank you for looking into this. I am running these commands using the conda-forge channel:

```
conda create --name rasterio_w_webp_test1 python=3.7

conda config --add channels conda-forge

conda install gdal libgdal

conda install rasterio

pip install rio-cogeo
```

Then I am using the rio cogeo command that uses WebP:
```
rio cogeo create -p webp input.tif output.tif
```

but I get the following error:
```
File "rasterio/shutil.pyx", line 139, in rasterio.shutil.copy
  File "rasterio/_err.pyx", line 205, in rasterio._err.exc_wrap_pointer
rasterio._err.CPLE_AppDefinedError: Cannot create TIFF file due to missing codec for WEBP.
```

so I think something didn't install correctly. I don't need to use conda, but it seems like a good option because it uses virtual environments.