Re: Using Rasterio with GDAL 2.4.x

Ratcliff, Christina (A&F, Waite Campus)

Hi,

Thank you for your responses. I have previously installed rasterio via the Gohlke wheel file alongside QGIS quite successfully by using a properly configured osgeo4w shell to ensure it installs against the correct version of python and GDAL.

Joris, thank you for the link to QGIS on conda, but our end users aren’t programmers so installing QGIS this way may be a bit difficult for them.

The version of GDAL that the Rasterio wheel is built for on the Gohlke page isn’t explicitly stated, just that GDAL is required. There are wheels available for GDAL 2.2.4, 2.4.1 and 3.0.4 for python 3.7.  I have confirmed the Rasterio 1.0.24 wheel installs successfully against QGIS’s GDAL 2.4.1, 2.4.3 and 3.0.3 but Rasterio 1.0.25+ only installs against 3.0.x.

My method for installation is to download a wheel file from the Gohlke page and install it into the configured environment with admin privileges using

          pip install <path to rasterio wheel file>

I have attached the resulting log files created when installing Rasterio 1.0.25 & 1.1.2.

Just to clarify, I would like to be able to skip the building and installation of GDAL on Windows if the requirement of using GDAL >= 1.11 is already met; hence my question regarding  gdal~=3.0.1. If this is possible, where in the code is this set? Are there extra options I can use with pip to achieve this?

Thanks,

Christina