Rasterio read outshape resample does not give correct array

tinak.contact@...

Edited

Hi all,

I have a population grid and want to decrease the resolution by a factor 2. So I would like to get a raster that has 2 times less rows and columns, a resolution that is 2 times as large as the original one, while retaining the same overall number of population.

This should be a straightforward operation, but the population numbers change incorrectly if I follow the documentation. When the resampled array is written to file, the numbers are incorrect.

Shouldn't the resample method yield an array with resampled cell values to get the same number of total population? Any tips and hints would be appreciated!

factor = 2

with rasterio.open("mwi_ppp_2020.tif") as dataset:

    arr = dataset.read(1,masked=True)
    #Show total population of Malawi
    print(arr.sum())

    data = dataset.read(1, masked=True, resampling=Resampling.bilinear,
        out_shape=(
            int(dataset.height * factor),
            int(dataset.width * factor)))

     #Show total population of array
    print(data.sum())

     # scale image transform
    transform = dataset.transform * dataset.transform.scale(
            (dataset.width / data.shape[1]),

            (dataset.height / data.shape[0])
                                )