Re: Help with saving images using lossless jpeg compression

Lossless JPEG compression is only possible with the JPEG2000 format drivers. It's not an option for GeoTIFF.

See https://gdal.org/drivers/raster/jp2openjpeg.html#lossless-compression for the details. There are 4 other JPEG2000 format drivers for GDAL and they may have different options.

On Wed, Sep 8, 2021 at 6:47 AM Varisht Ghedia <varisht@...> wrote:
Hi,

While saving transformed and cut geotiff files to local filesystem, I wanted to save them in a lossless format. Currently, I use the "GTiff" driver to save the rasters in a tif format. While this does preserve the data, the file size is quite large (60MB~100MB). On saving them in a compressed format using JPEG a lot of quality is lost and the images lack the original details. Is there a provision to save these rasters in a different lossless format which is lighter and offers good compression? I explored lossless jpeg compression and wanted to use it. What is the right way to implement this?

Thanks and regards,
Varisht Ghedia