Topics

GDAL version policy

Denis Rykov

Hello folks,

What is the policy of the project about GDAL version?
The latest stable release of GDAL is 2.3.2 but recent wheels of rasterio  are built onto 2.3.1.

Sean Gillies

Hi Denis,

On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 1:50 AM Denis Rykov <rykovd@...> wrote:
Hello folks,

What is the policy of the project about GDAL version?
The latest stable release of GDAL is 2.3.2 but recent wheels of rasterio  are built onto 2.3.1

Good question! My intent for the wheels is to make it easy for people to try Rasterio and to be able to easily provision CI servers for testing Python software that requires Rasterio. There isn't really any policy yet except that I do keep the GDAL and other libraries versions under revision control so that they don't regress and try to keep them not too far out of date.

I will happily accept PRs at https://github.com/sgillies/rasterio-wheels to update libraries to the latest stable versions. As to format drivers, I would like to minimize drivers to keep the wheels under 20MB and keep wheel build times to under 20 mins.

Denis Rykov

Thank you Sean!

I made a PR at rasterio-wheels repository which updates GDAL to the latest stable version.

Besides this we discovered that we need a rasterio wheels built against a master version of GDAL. What do you advise us in this case? Does it make sense having such wheels on PyPI?