Topics

Geodatabase, FileGeodatabase, and Esri Geodatabase

Armstrong Manuvakola Ezequias Ngolo

Hi everyone,

After relying on GIS softwares for a long time with a bit of python help with rasterio, I decided to move on using rasterio (and geopandas) for AI applications.

I would like to have access to some common tools that I have been using in GIS softwares!!!.

One important thing is the ability to store and manipulate the datasets using only one file such as the Esri FileGeodatabase (FileGDB).

My question is: Are there any FileGDBs that we can use in Python to store and manipulate spatial data?

I found that Fiona can create, read and write FileGDB but only for storing shapefile kind of datasets.

thank you in advance,

Armstrong Ngolo

Sean Gillies

Hi Armstrong,

Rasterio relies on a library named GDAL for data access and GDAL doesn't support Esri raster databases. There are people in the open source community who store raster data in a PostGIS database and manipulate it using SQL. I don't have any experience with that. My own applications use GeoTIFF and numpy arrays for storage and all the manipulation is done using the numpy and rasterio APIs, in python.

Open Data Cube is one project that aims to provide a more comprehensive raster data management system. It may be worth your time to look at it. I'm sure subscribers on this list can recommend other systems.

Yours,

On Thu, Nov 28, 2019, 10:14 PM Armstrong Manuvakola Ezequias Ngolo <arngolo@...> wrote:
Hi everyone,

After relying on GIS softwares for a long time with a bit of python help with rasterio, I decided to move on using rasterio (and geopandas) for AI applications.

I would like to have access to some common tools that I have been using in GIS softwares!!!.

One important thing is the ability to store and manipulate the datasets using only one file such as the Esri FileGeodatabase (FileGDB).

My question is: Are there any FileGDBs that we can use in Python to store and manipulate spatial data?

I found that Fiona can create, read and write FileGDB but only for storing shapefile kind of datasets.

thank you in advance,

Armstrong Ngolo

Alan Snow

Hello,

It appears the GeoPackage format can support vector and raster data in GDAL similar to the FIleGDB format.

https://gdal.org/drivers/raster/gpkg.html
https://gdal.org/drivers/vector/gpkg.html

Not sure how to do both in the same file as I haven't tried to do it myself. But, sounds worth a shot. Hope that helps.

Best,
Alan